USES OF PLANTS
FOOD FROM PLANTS:
· Some vegetables are available throughout the year and some are seasonal.
· Examples: beetroot, spinach, turnip and cauliflower.
· Beetroot, radish, carrot and turnip are some of the roots that we eat as vegetables.
· Spinach, lettuce and cabbage are some of the leaves that we eat as vegetables.
· Potato, onion, garlic and ginger are some of the stems that we eat as vegetables.
· Broccoli and cauliflower are some of the flowers that we eat as vegetables.
· We get fruits from plants. Some fruits are juicy and fleshy.
· Some of the fruits that we eat are orange, mango, apple, grapes, etc.
· Fruits keep us healthy and strong. We should eat plenty of fruits daily.
· Growing children should eat plenty of seasonal fruits.
Seeds of some plants are oily.
· oil is taken from the seeds like sesame, mustard, sunflower, etc.
· This oil is used in preparing many kinds of food and also for some other purpose
Ground nut oil, coconut oil, mustard oil, etc. are also used for preparing food.