STEM OF A PLANT
The stem is the part of the plant seen above the ground. It bears the leaves, flowers and fruits of a plant. It is almost green or woody. It grows towards the sunlight.
It moves away from the ground. They are always phototrophic. i.e. they grow towards light.
FUNCTIONS OF STEM
· Support: Stem bears branches, leaves, flowers and fruits.
· Conduction: Stem transports water and minerals from root to leaves.
· Food storage: Plants like Potato, Ginger, Turmeric, Onion store excess food within their modified underground stem.
· Protection: Few plants have spines or thorns on the stem surface. These protect them from predators. Cactus, Rose, Lotus, Wood-apple etc. plants have thorns on their stems.
· Store Water: Stem can store water by becoming fleshy as in desert plants eg. cactus and jade.
· Photosynthesis: Stem can perform photosynthesis when leaves are reduced or absent as in desert plants.