ROOTS OF A PLANT
FUNCTIONS OF STEM
· Roots lies below the surface of the soil.
· They hold the plant firmly in place.
· Its main function is to absorb water and nutrients for the plant.
· They store food and nutrients and provide support to the plant.
· Some aerial roots support plants to bear the weight of the branches. For example, prop roots of banyan tree and stilt root of screw-pine.
· Roots of many plants are eaten as food such as beetroot, radish, carrot etc.TAP ROOTS:
· It consists of one main long thick root growing downwards from which many thinner roots develop.
· Examples: sugar, beet or carrot, bean, tea, peepal etc.FIBROUS ROOTS:
· In case of fibrous root there is no main root.
· Example: lilies, grasses, wheat, rice, palm etc.